GE-free Seed Cultivation
Seeds are the basis for agriculture and foodstuffs. GE-free agriculture requires GE-free seeds:
Conservation initiatives trace old varieties, maintain them, bring them back into use and promote their diversity as well as knowledge about it. Seed propagation professionals produce selected varieties of seeds, mainly for the production of food. Plant breeders develop new or maintain existing varieties.
The Initiative for GE-free Seeds and Breeding (IG Saatgut) is an international association of commercial and non-commercial seed conservation organisations, cultivators and breeders.
Breeding new and conserving old varieties on farm, these initiatives implement methods in a holistic approach. They reject genetically modified agriculture and patents on life.
- » The enduring conservation and distribution of GE-free seeds.
- » The preservation and development of the diversity of cultivated plants as a basis for future nutrition and plant breeding.
- » To safeguard in the long-term the existence of any initiatives and companies which work on GE-free cultivated plants, their conservation, development, breeding and use.
Consequences of Genetic Engineering
Genetically modified plants grown for commercial or experimental purposes – even vegetables ranging from aubergine to watermelon – have radically altered the situation of GE-free seed cultivation: strict protective measures are no longer required for GM plants, but rather for GE-free plants, in order to protect them from cross-breeding. Seed initiatives are now required to guarantee GE-free quality without putting it at risk through their own farming methods and circumstances.
Thus they are saddled with costs and risks caused by genetically engineering whereas those who actually implement this technology are interested in profiting at the expense of society and the environment.
The seed initiatives are intent on avoiding any accidental contribution to the spread of GM plants through the contamination of their own seeds. In this regard, IG Saatgut bolsters each and every initiative by means of an increased cooperation on this issue.
1. The cessation of the cultivation of GM plants.
2. The protection of GE-free seed cultivation:
- » Users of GMO* must bear the subsequent costs of GE-free seed cultivation.
- » Seeds, in which traces of GMO are found, must be labelled.
- » Genetic engineering in public gene banks must be banned.
- » Legal frameworks must exclude GMO impurities in privately and commercially produced seeds.
3. No more Patents on Life.
*GMO = genetically modifi ed organism
- » Developing techniques to protect those plant species most at risk (such as maize, canola, beat or chicory),
- » Organizing knowledge transfer,
- » Providing information on issues concerning GE-free seeds,
- » Representing the interests of GE-free seed initiatives in politics, public relations and technical discussions,
- » Raising public awareness of GE-free seed cultivation,
- » Raising public awareness of problems caused by patents,
- » Networking with seed initiatives on both a national and an international level.
- » Arche Noah (Society for Preserving and Growing the Diversity of Cultivated Plants)
- » Bingenheimer Saatgut AG
- » Dreschflegel e.V.
- » Kultursaat e.V. (Association for Breeding Research & Cultivated Plant Conservation on Bio-dynamic Basis)
- » ProSpecieRara (Swiss Foundation for the Historico-cultural and Genetic
Variety of Plants and Animals)
- » ReinSaat KG
- » Sativa Rheinau AG
- » VEN (Association for Preserving the Diversity of Cultivated Plants)
- » Saat:gut e.V. (Development Association for Ecological Plant Breeding)
IG Saatgut is funded by its members and with the help of the Foundation on Future Farming (ZSL) and donations. Membership for sponsors is possible.
Contact & further Informations
You can sustain our activities for GE-free seeds and breeding by donating to:
IBAN: DE 21522 50030 000 0038 968
Wie sich Patente auf Pflanzen auswirken …
Informationen zur Studie
Durch GVO bereits bedrohte Kulturpflanzen:
Gentech-Raps kann über verwandte Arten, wie Hederich, in Radieschen einkreuzen.
Webseite zuletzt aktualisiert
am 08 Sep 2016